Monday, November 29, 2010

Farewell to my business...

The decision has been made. My business is closing at the end of the year; Basis.dwg, Inc. is officially going into retirement. For six years, I have pulled a positive cash flow and I believe all of my clients have been kept happy - so I can proudly say that I did run a successful business. But, my back hurts and I have an unknown growth in my eye; I want my evenings back, and so does Rob. Life is too short to be spending 10-12 hours in front of a computer screen everyday; time to say goodbye.

So now what? I still have my day job. I don’t exactly like it, so I will continue to send out resumes and hope for a new door to open. I was hoping that one of my more major clients might offer me a position, but I now don’t believe that is going to happen; I am a bit bummed about it because I think it could have been a fun place to work. The reality is that the construction industry is hurting…bad.

This decision has been in the works for a long time. I cannot count the number of times that I have been in tears at 8:00 pm at night wanting to just stop working. What kept me going? The thought that we might have a child to support; and six years later – we still don’t. I need to find a way to be happy again. With the liability insurance renewal looming, a new AutoCAD upgrade pending, and the tax year ending…this was the most obvious time.

I am at peace with the decision, but it hurts to know what the business represented and that we have not been successful with children. Making peace with that is going to take a little more time.

2 comments:

Geochick said...

I'm sorry - that's a tough decision to make.

Sissy said...

I wish we were both in a better place, adoption-wise. I feel so tricked, with the one adoption that fell through. It happened so quickly after we filled out our paperwork that I was sure it was only going to be a few months as we'd be matched again. Not so. Sigh.