I put my notice into my old job the second week in January; my last full day there was January 31st. I stayed on working about 10 hours a week through February 29th – and then I walked out the door for good. While I am thankful this firm kept me employed over the worst economic downturn I have seen architecture endure, I am happy to part ways. There was far too many things happening there that were not okay in my eyes; they are now a thing of the past and hopefully I will never have to think about them again.
Since about November, I had been working part-time at my new job. On February 1st, I started there more permanently at 30 hours per week. Due to our current workload, 30 hours per week has escalated into much more. Once again – I find myself a very busy architect working well into the weekends. I am at a point in my career where I think I may walk away from the profession. Unfortunately, it is a very difficult business – and the recession only has made it worse. Time will tell. For now, it seems that the work overflow will continue into April.
Someone recently told me that the same crappiness is in all professions – but, I would have to disagree some. Others I know have benefits such as medical plans, retirement plans, spring breaks, summers off…in architecture – it seems any of the above are difficult to find these days. I get two weeks off a year and continually worry about what medically my future might hold. But for now, I continue to be employed and will put forth my best efforts to create successful projects.
Here in Warrenville, the buds are blooming and the bikes have been out; it has been over seventy degrees in Chicagoland over the past week – and warm weathers looks to continue in the near future. Poor Mr. Rowan dog hasn’t yet lost his undercoat fur and just seems miserably hot. Records high temperatures are being broken every day.
Mr. Romney and Mr. Santorum continue calling our home several times a day; the primary in Illinois is coming quickly and I will be happy for it to pass.
More blogging to come in the future...the Spring trip to the Grand Canyon is shaping up and all the details are falling into place!

4 comments:
Be glad your not hiking the canyon this weekend with over a foot of snow, and slushy trails half way down the South Kaibab. Have at least 6" here.
Enjoy the sunny mid-west spring.
I know what it is like to work too hard year after year but at least I had medical coverage, and a pension plan at my last job. I hope you can find a good way to transition to something less demanding which is not so good for health.
Our husky is beginning to lose her undercoat and I'm just waiting for all that hair to end up on my floor!
I'm headed to the GC this weekend. eek!
Post a Comment