Thursday, August 9, 2012

What’s growing in your Garden?


It’s been a tough summer; hot  - hot – dry - and more hot.  

I like to plant pumpkins; last year was an exception because we were getting a sidewalk and we had to temporarily relocate some of our front-yard plants to the rear garden.  This year, I was a little late getting  them into the ground, but they took off despite the heat.  They are close to our garage rain-barrels which makes watering them easier. 
By now, I would have expected to have some more pumpkins growing, but at the moment, I have just one; it is currently slighly larger than my hand.  I have spotted several female flowers on the vines, but it doesn’t seem that any of them have yet been pollenated. 
There has been one other little thing missing from the garden this year – and that is bugs.  Due to the heat, we seem to be low on bees and mosquitoes.  I’ll keep you updated, but it seems like the crop may be lacking this year.
What is growing in your garden?

3 comments:

Linda W. said...

What's growing in my garden? Zucchini, zucchini, and more zucchini! (want some?)

Donna said...

We put in a big garden this year and what's doing well has been hit or miss. Cucumers, squash, tomatoes, and beets are all doing extremely well. Bugs have gotten a lot of the rest.

I planted pumpkins, too, but have yet to see any on the vines. Maybe next year?

Colleen said...

Our cucumbers are doing really, really well but the green peppers and tomatoes are not doing well at all.

There was an interesting story on NPR about pumpkins and why they are smaller this year. The answer was the heat and not the lack of water (as many farmers irrigate). Pumpkins don't like the heat.

http://www.npr.org/2012/08/14/158791595/drought-stunts-vegetable-contests-at-state-fairs