Monday, October 15, 2012

Summer...Fall

It has been an active summer for Rob.  He started with the Batavia Sprint Triathlon in May, completed the Steelhead Half Ironman in August, and finished the Prairie State Marathon this month.  He has been busy.

While Rob is training for all those races, I have been getting dog-duty.   The Dog-G’s do like to run, but this summer has been so hot and dry.  Even in the early mornings and late evenings, there were so many days I just couldn’t bring myself to make them run in a fur coat.  It is also much easier for me to run with one of them instead of both (I am fine walking both).   Andra is able to go longer distances with Rob, while Rowan is limited to about 3 miles…then he just wants to stop and smell the roses.  I also have been keeping with my minimum 1-mile per day routine; even those days going from work to volunteering and getting home at 8:15 pm - it is too the treadmill.

We both did our fair share of local 5k’s as well.  On the 4th of July, there is a park district run that starts just a block from our house and goes through the local forest preserve and streets of our town – it was so dreadfully hot/humid that day – they even added a water station to help.  This weekend, in a favorite melanoma awareness race – while it was a rainy morning and numbers were down,  but we were still happy that Rob won his age group, and I came in third in mine…both earning medals.  Unfortunately, we couldn’t get the medals because we both had to work and left right after finishing...UGH.

And the pumpkin patch…  It was not a great year.  While we have several rain barrels rigged up in the yard, the lack of water took a toll…  The dogs kept getting into the patch early on…  At the end of the season, a large rain brought on a mold/mildew disease that spread rapidly to all of the plants...  Here’s the somewhat sad bunch -

6 comments:

Al said...

That's a lot of running, I could never do that. But I did just start Aikido!

To answer your question, that triangular-shaped building in my first shot is the Cadet Chapel, you can find more shots of it on my blog by clicking the Air Force Academy tag and looking back several posts.

Linda W. said...

Hooray for you and your husband, running races! I have fun running races, even though my last one was a marathon. I love your pumpkins. You got more than we did - our garden only produced two. Enjoy your fall!

Colleen said...

I thought your pumpkin crop was going to be super small but it looks like you at least got a few this year! Some is better than none?

I can imagine running in a fur coat in that summer heat would have been unbearable! I hope the dogs are enjoying are nice fall weather.

Great job in all the races this year!

Linda W. said...

Hello!

Thanks for your comments. In answer to your question about the Eugene Marathon, Eugene is a big-time running town and is nicknamed "Track Town USA" The US Olympic Trials are often held at historic Hayward Field (as was this year's trials). In 2011 I ran the Eugene marathon. You can read about it here: http://photomomlinda.blogspot.com/2011/05/eugene-marathon.html

good luck on your running endeavors!

Rosemarie said...

I didn't know you both were such avid runners! Have you done trail runs? Matt ran his first near Madison a few weeks ago and loved it - he said its all he wants to do now!

stillhowlyn said...

Glad I found your blog. Love the pics of your CO vacation. That is a lot of running...good for you both. We just returned from St. George, UT & the World Senior Games where my husband, Howard, ran the 10 & 5K. You never get too old to live your dream! Lynda