Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Work Work Work Work Work

A month or so ago, I made a job move.  Really, neither the existing job or option on the table were good; after weighing it out for weeks,  I decided to go back into architecture at the old firm I was at.  You see, Dominick's went out of business in Chicagoland and Whole Foods Market picked up several of them.  I was brought back on board with the intention of helping out with those projects.

Helping out – ha.  At this time, I have three full projects on my desk with budgets probably totally $10 million.  The person who sits next to me?  One project with a budget of about $200,000 – and he wanted my help with a code review.  Well, I knew this would happen going in and I just decided that my skin is going to have to be tough – perhaps I even need to grow some porcupine quills.  Next week, I have to spend Tuesday at the Streeterville location, Wednesday at the DePaul location, and Thursday – I fly into Detroit to be at the Ann Arbor location.  And just when am I suppose to get work done?

The good news?  I am hypothetically only working 4 days a week.  With the above stated, I know that can’t happen.  So, I have to make some decisions on where to draw the line.  That fifth day a week?  You can bet I am keeping my eye on the job advertisements.  I do think this is it for architecture.  I hope to stay the duration of the grocery store remodeling projects…maybe a year or two…but beyond that, I need a new plan.  I did enjoy the work aspect of the accounting job I was at - there just wasn’t enough to do.  Maybe a property manager and/or facility management job would be nice.  Also, I am intending to take a few code courses ($) to perhaps try and land a public code review position.  And then there is the whole dog kennel idea…


The other good news?  I have my freedom back on vacation dates.  No more “block out days”; I can just book the tickets on the cheap day and tell them I won’t be there.  Oh, that is nice - that is very nice.  I found some good tickets to Greenville, South Carolina for the end of April…Conagree National Park and The Great Smokey Mountains National Park - we will be there soon!

3 comments:

Joyful said...

Well I'm glad you are working and have a plan. I'm sure it will all work out for you as you keep your eye on the end goal. Best of luck with the travels and the projects.

Klara said...

Feedom on vacation dates: priceless!

Gaelyn said...

Nice thing is you can just keep working it until you don't like it any more.