Well – the eye appointment with the Chicago specialist came
and went with bad news…an ocular melanoma.
I had a bunch of tests done to eliminate BDUMP (the doctor said the risk
was very minimal, but my history fit the potential description) – also, a
metastatic workup appears to be negative – so that is hopeful.
Nonetheless, the treatment will be radioactive plaque
therapy where they sew on a disc type structure for a handful of days. Mine was planned quickly to happen over the
holiday.
I will be given a lead shield to wear if around people for
short periods of time – with a distance to be kept of 3 feet. No being by kids. No pregnant woman. If I am by myself, I can take the shield off. The treatment is fairly rough on the eye –
leaving some long-term side effects that are not exactly good. However, there really isn’t an alternative at
this point (other than taking out the eye…not there yet).
I haven’t yet canceled our quick trip to Little Rock,
Arkansas to visit Hot Springs National Park in January, but for the second time
- I am thinking to cancel it. Of all the
National Parks, Hot Springs is probably the one we are least looking forward
too – so perhaps the third time will be the charm.
It is a fairly rare illness, and apparently he is just about it in terms of Chicago doctors for this. And at this point, the health insurance appears
to be working well – so that is good. There are about 2,000 cases in the US per year - and it is still termed an orphan illness.
Still working things out at work – I am taking the time off unpaid as I have only been there since mid-October and don't have sick time/disability benefits yet. My worry is what my vision will
be like after and what the possibility is of continuing to have a
high read/writing position. It is hard
to describe the frustration one goes through when having disturbances in vision - it would just be easier if there was more time with less eye concentration (meetings, phone, customer walk-ins, etc.). Time will tell.
Since I have to live in isolation for about a week - it will give me some time to catch up on blogs!

5 comments:
I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. What a bummer. Hang in there! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Am very sorry to hear of your eye problem. It is a bummer and as you say very rare. I'd never heard of it before. I guess the good news is that you still have another eye. I know that isn't a lot of consolation just now. I have always had poor eyesight and just last year had an eye scare myself. So I know how precious eye sight is. I value my vision despite it not being as good as most people's. All the best with the treatment. Big hugs. xx
Oh katie! i'm sorry to hear that but at least you know what's going on. I"m glad you've got "the guy" for this. Hugs & Healing!
Oh my goodness! I am sorry to hear this. :( Hoping the treatment helps.
Just stopping by to wish you a very Merry Christmas and best wishes for a speedy convalescence. xx
Post a Comment