Friday, May 22, 2015

East Coast - Day 1 and 2

We had an earlier flight into Pittsburgh, PA - but not early enough.  I really wanted to take the incline up to the top of Mt. Washington overlooking Pittsburgh.  When we got to the incline, there was one electronic station for tickets and it was slow.  There were a lot of people waiting.  We decided we just couldn't risk it given we didn't have too much time to spare.  Instead, we walked by the riverfront and then started heading south towards Morgantown, WV.


We ended up making to to Morgantown, WV in plenty of time for the 6:00 pm graduation of our godson from West Virginia University.


This hat made me laugh - oh, if she only knew.  The BS is just beginning.


After a long night, we got up on the earlier side to head back north.  A quick stop at Ohiopyle State Park....

And then we arrived at the destination - Fallingwater.


We had tired to get in a few years back, but missed the closing time.  If I remember, it was a weekend and they were closing early for a wedding reception.

One of Frank Lloyd Wright's more special houses; this was my favorite picture.


After Fallingwater, we headed a bit further north to the Flight 93 National Memorial.


The memorial is not finished.  They are in the process of building a visitor center, planting trees, and building a wrap around path.

The most surprising thing to both of us at the memorial is that there were only 40 people on the flight; that just doesn't happen anymore.  Todd Beamer was one of the passengers; we think he might have been more featured in our area for he was from Wheaton, IL - however, the sign said New Jersey.


There were actually a lot of visitors at the memorial - how I managed to snap this picture with nobody in it is strange.   For a memorial with so many people there - we wondered why the memorial wasn't finished a long time ago.


Next stop - Harpers Ferry.  The Appalachian National Scenic Trail makes its way through the historic downtown.  It is c


It was hot.  And humid.  We arrived in the later day which would have put us at risk of missing the last bus had we started a long hike.  We tried to get a spot in the best lot near downtown, but it wasn't quite late in the day enough.  So, we settled on a bit farther lot so we could avoid the bus, but it was far enough away where in the heat, we didn't want to make our preferred 4 mile hike into a 7 mile hike...so we just changed our plans and walked into town - hiked around the river and downtown - and then back to our car on the Appalachian Trail.


The Appalachian National Scenic Trail makes its way through the historic downtown.  It is considered the halfway point of the trail.


This stairway is actual the trail...right through downtown.   We didn't see any thru-hikers in Harpers Ferry, but we would see some the following day at Shenandoah National Park.


2 comments:

loribeth said...

I have an online friend who lives in the Pittsburgh area... you've given me a great itinerary to follow if I ever head there to visit her! :) Love your comment about the BS just beginning -- so true!! (Sorry, kid, lol!)

Joyful said...

I chuckled at your comment about the graduation cap. I just attended the grad ceremony of my nephew and for the first time saw a message in Mandarin or Cantonese (not sure which one) on the top of the mortar board. That is the first time I've ever seen anyone personal the top of their grad cap. I guess they want a "special" photo. But you are absolutely right about the BS just beginning. I far rather enjoyed my university years. They were some of the best years of my life. I always said I'd be a perpetual student if someone paid for it, lol.