As we were still more or less on central time, I woke up at around 4 am wondering if I should set an alarm to watch the sunrise...or if it was still smokey. Couldn't tell as it was just too dark outside the window. Upon awaking again near sunrise, I decided to get up and go outside. Rob followed. We got to the patio doors and...where did all the smoke go? Gone. Completely gone.
There was a small crowd outside...and as we walked the trail on the rim...a person here and there...
It was worth staying at the lodge just for this. The water was fairly active this morning - but there wasn't a lot of wind at the lodge.
Rob went for a +/- four mile run, I packed up the room, and then we went to the dining room for breakfast. They had really good oatmeal. This wasn't one of my favorite lodges historically or architecturally, but it was okay. Worth staying at.
Our first hike of the day was Garfield Peak, 3.6 miles 1,1010 feet. It climbed the rim of the lake starting at the lodge.
We saw our first and only marmot of the trip (bottom left in photo). I love this picture because you get a glimpse of the blue water - it is so blue.
The photo below is of the rock formation they term "Phantom Ship".
The views all along the way were spectacular. In fact when we got to the top, it wasn't our favorite view...but still impressive.
Rob got me a small tripod for the camera - so we have a few more pictures this trip of the two of us together. Not too many people on this trail - we had the peak to ourselves.
The second hike of the day was Mt. Scott....4.4 files, 1,250 feet to the highest point in the park. We started this hike at noon and there wasn't a lot of shade - so it wasn't my favorite because of that.
In the picture below, you see the long traverse before the final small incline up to the watch tower (which like the one the day before...was closed).
The smoke was once again starting to move in...but it was still a beautiful view....a different viewpoint of the lake.
Our last stop was the Sun Notch - and easy .8 mile, 150 foot trail with some terrific views. Glad we made this quick stop.
And then the afternoon was ending - I was sad to leave Crater Lake, but it was time to go. I sort of thought it would be my favorite stop of the trip - but I have to say that Lassen Volcano comes in a bit higher in my book.




No comments:
Post a Comment