We decided to take a quick trip to Florida in November. I had never been to Key West, and we also wanted to get to Dry Tortugas National Park. We got to Key West on Saturday afternoon at about 3:30 pm. Since our plane got in late on Friday night, we didn't leave Marco Island until about 9:30 am. I wanted to get to Mallory Square to see the sunset...they have a sunset celebration. We walked Duval street - and got there just in time. But, we were also there with much of the visitors of Key West. A little too crowded for our liking. There were some huge boat and yachts...but no cruise boats.
We walked by the Southernmost Point...although looking at the map - I am convinced it really isn't...
We wanted to see Hemmingway's home and some of the six-toed cats. There was a wedding so it was closed, but as we walked by - one happened to be on the brick fence ledge. He just kept walking and wouldn't stay still for a picture. They do have unusually big feet.
We paid a stupid amount to stay at the best western, and their pool wasn't even open after dark (which happened to be 5:45 pm in November). We had dinner at a seemingly nice place on the beach, but it so much didn't agree with me and I ended spending much of the night in the bathroom at the hotel. At least the bathroom was nice and clean! In the morning, we got up (me with an unsettled digestive system) and walked across the road to see the sunrise. The hotel did have a free breakfast (which I didn't get to eat...I did have some apple juice). And we took a short drive over to the airport where we would catch a seaplane (next post).
As for the rental car... We knew we were getting into the airport really late (12:30 am) and that the rental car facility closed at 1:00 am. So, I sent Rob to get the car - and I got the luggage (which showed up in about 2 minutes - the airport workers wanted to go home!). Anyhow, they had almost zero cars in the lot. They told Rob they could give him a mini-van or a truck. Uh - no thank you. He told them we needed something with a trunk so our luggage could not be seen. So - the options then became a Chevy Camaro convertible...or a luxury Infinity. Rob first looked a the convertible - but decided the luggage wouldn't fit. And we ended up with the Infinity...it was pretty easy to drive. As for the Camaro - when we returned to the airport, another couple was pulling in and had the suitcase sticking out of the backseat - well...I guess we choose wisely.

3 comments:
I love following your travellings!
That is a trip I'd like to make some day. Your top photo is stunning.
Beautiful sunset pics. Too bad you got sick.
Post a Comment