Sunday, October 11, 2009

COLD weekend...

Today was our first cold day of winter...oh wait, I mean fall. Brrr.... Since it was well into deep frost range last night (I think we got down to 31 degrees!), I wasn't sure what to do with the pumpkin patch. Lets just say, I don't know that this batch is going to turn orange by Halloween. We still have our three tremendous orange pumpkins that we harvested in early September; they have found a home on our front porch.

Today, we went down to Chicago to watch the Marathon...did I mention it was COLD? We parked our car up at Montrose (free parking)...then rode our bikes around. Maybe bikes on the lakefront when it is 40 degrees out wasn't such a good idea...but we did make it back (I am still thawing...). This is some video we took of my brother Joe at mile 24.

3 comments:

Colleen said...

I had a great time chasing Joe around too! Saw him 3 times at mile 12, 17, and 25.5 :) My favorite comment of the day was "we were standing right where we said we were going to stand".....you need a good sign or nobody is going to pick you out of the crowd!!! :) You have a good sign.

Meg said...

Hi Katie,

My name is Meg. My husband and I are also adopting through the Cradle.

You're the first adoption blog I've commented on. I've decided I need some peer support on this as it's hard going through it alone. I'm up at this late hour because I can't sleep. We had been selected by a birthmom and found out today we didn't get the baby. You'd think I wouldn't have been able to sleep last night when we were waiting but I slept fine. Tonight I can't as I'm sad and this lack of control is hard.

I know there are many Cradle families on the list much longer than us but I guess we're just adjusting to the roller coaster of emotions.

I saw your post about the adoption.com and other type sites. Did you end up finding more about them? What did you decide to do? We're considering doing that but don't know.

We are in the western suburbs, too. We're in West Chicago. Please forgive me if I've met you at one of the events and don't recall. We're relatively new on the list and went to our first support group last month and met so many people. I'm the type that has to meet someone more than once to reinforce it so please don't take it personally if we did meet. :)

Are there other blogs you recommend of others in waiting? I keep finding blogs where they just got matched and have posted all these pics of babies. I am looking for others at a similar stage.

Meg said...

Just re-read what I wrote and I shouldn't have said "going through it alone." My husband is very supportive but he doesn't seem to get as emotionally invested as I do. That's why I looking for some fellow adoptive parent blogs to share this journey.

-Meg