The history of the Christmas tree tradition dates back to the early 700’s. St. Boniface used a triangular shaped fir tree to depict the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. People began to refer to this as God’s tree. By the 1200’s the tree had begun to be
hung upside down from ceilings as a symbol of Christianity. In the 1600’s people began to decorate the tree with candles to represent how the stars twinkled through the night. Tinsel was created later in the 1600’s and by the 1800’s the first garlands were introduced to help decorate. By the late 1600’s bakers began crafting shaped gingerbreads and wax ornaments to hang from the tree and the evolution of Christmas tree ornaments was put into motion. In the late 1970’s the artificial tree had its debut. While the artificial tree gained acceptance, the real tree remained the most popular.
Last year, there were upside-down Christmas trees spotted in Warrenville; keep your eyes open. :)
Merry Christmas to all...and to all a good night!
5 comments:
Wow, I've never heard that!!! Thanks for fillin' me in! Now I just have to figure out if I want to hang our tree next year...I don't know, we have a mighty hard time with standing it upright, I just don't think we'd be cut out to do that!! hahaha
Didn't know that....very interesting! Merry Christmas.
I learn something everyday, thanks for sharing.
Merry Christmas!!
Love
Aunt Rene
What fun facts! And boo to not winning the lottery...any luck last night?
Love the upside down tree too!
Neat bit of trivia! Hope you guys had a very Merry Christmas....may all your dreams come true in 2010!
Post a Comment