I suspect that the overdose of water we received in August has led to their rear ends being a bit miscolored, misformed, and frankly a bit ugly, but I still have pumpkins. I have lost two orange ones already due to rot (I have picked a total of five); again, I blame the heavy August rain. The one on the chair was pitched into compost last night because it wasn't doing well (another was pitched last week). I have high hopes for the one on the table and the one to the right on the ground; they will be going into the cool basement for the next month in hopes to keep them solid until October. The one on the ground to the left is a bit lighter colored and I might just keep it outside thinking it might follow a rotten path.
Currently, the patch is looking a bit worn; I am not sure what is going to happen. I have about five decent second round pumpkins started. I am hoping they will make it to maturity, but they may not due to the poor conditions. They got a little bit of rain tonight, and the forecast has some additional rain coming later this week (and then finally the cool-down). Hoping for the best.

5 comments:
Looks like good carving pumpkins for Halloween if they last that long!
wow! big oarnge beauties! How fun!
Maybe we should celebrate Halloween today on August 31 instead of October 31! :)
Those look great! It's been a weird, bad growing season for sure.
Those are gorgeous! And yummy looking... mmm... pumpkin pie :)
Post a Comment