Tuesday, August 10, 2010

And so it goes...

We finally had our phone conversation with our counselor last Friday. To say the least, we were very hurt by some of the things she said. I let her know this. It was fairly apparent to us that she has low confidence in us navigating the adoption process. Our stance remains that if we don’t feel comfortable with a situation for any reason (medical, social, emotional), it is not the right situation for us. Our agency tells us that it is okay to say “no” to a situation, yet, we seem to be highly criticized for doing so. Don’t pee on my leg and tell me it’s raining.

Where do we go from here?

The enjoyable answer to that is Colorado. We booked the calendars for the end of September. We are considering taking puppy dog Andra; we just know that she would love hiking with us…new smells, new scenery, new animals… Unfortunately, Rocky Mountain National Park does not allow dogs on the trail, but all of the national forest and state parks do; I found a woman who has dog-daycare for the two days we would spend in the park. We started taking her to Blackwell to train on the hill; we have to make sure she is going to do okay with elevation gain if we are going to take her to the mountains.

This weekend, we took puppy dog over to “Dog Days” at Cantigny. What a popular event…so many dogs enjoying the park! We walked the gardens and tanks (we were not allowed in the museum), mingled with other dogs, and visited the vendors. Puppy dog just loves to play and be around other dogs. Places like training and the dog park continue to be her favorite as she knows there will be other four-legged friends around.


4 comments:

Geochick said...

I'm sorry your counselor isn't more helpful, can you switch agencies? Easier said than done, I know but this situation sounds ridiculous. You guys are the ones who have to raise a child so you should not be criticized for knowing what you are able to take on! Have a fun time out here in Colorful CO! I think it's funny that we have that name but really, not that colorful compared to other placed. :)

Geochick said...

---ack... placeS.

Rosemarie said...

I am sorry about the insensitive counselor, but you have to know in your hearts this is the right decision to make. A vacation sound like what you need and your dog is going to be so excited to go along!

Other Mother said...

Your counselor sounds ridiculous! I would report them to whoever is in charge. You are such an amazing woman and I am so blessed to know you. I'm sorry you have to deal with such a ridiculous person in the adoption world.