Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Illinois

We did know it was most likely coming…but alas it is here…Illinois taxes are being driven up. Our local state income tax raised from 3% to 5% yesterday; corporate income tax raised from 4.8% to 7%. I just wonder how many people this will drive over the edge to move out of the state; I wonder if we will be some of them! How many major corporations will say to hell with Illinois? How many residents will be saying goodbye? This tax is on everyone…the poor…the rich...the young…the old…see ya 2%.

I get very frustrated with the state in that I have been assigned to IL Capital Development Board projects at work lately, and I see how broken the system is. I see the poor decisions that are made, I see the number of employees with little to no purpose that sit twiddling their thumbs at meetings (seriously, one girl sat and was admiring her fingernails for 90 minutes…said zero words and took zero notes…and drove over 100 miles to get there), I see the disarray that the state buildings are in (some of them are borderline dangerous to be in). Not only at work, but I know that mentor program I am a part of has trouble obtaining their grant money from the state; each mentor is very diligent about making the meet requirements and filling out the paperwork asked.

I have a lot of trouble watching my paycheck go further away (you are reading from someone who saw 15% of their salary disappear two years ago…and it hasn’t come back yet...but the work remains as demanding as ever). I have a lot of trouble knowing that this money is going to a broken system. Throwing money a broken system is throwing the money away. FIX THE SYSTEM!

5 comments:

V2V said...

Hi Gates Place. I for one cannot get out of this state soon enough. In addition to the taxation I also just heard we have the highest gas prices in the nation, and that was before the tax hike. I was born and raised here, I have family here, but you are right they are practically driving us out of here!

V2V said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Colleen said...

Fix the system is right. I actually would be ok with paying 2% more if it was going for services to the people who need them, but it isn't. This money is to support a state pension plan that is completely ridiculous.

Have you seen any of the pension articles in the papers lately? Those have all been local government but the state is even worse....

Unknown said...

I didn't know you live in Illinois. My husband and I are moving there in a few weeks, to be near family, and because two and a half years in Wyoming has seen nothing but trouble for us, financially and otherwise. We'll be near Rockfords, so the northern part of the state.

Mrs H said...

My step daughter is involved in Big Brothers/Big Sisters. Our little school system lost funding for it but the mentors and mentees (some of them) have been able to maintain their relationships under the school's general liablity policy. It's terrrible that things have to be that way!