
Have you ever been to Big Bend National Park? If you have, you will know that it is quite remote. After flying into El Paso, we had made reservations at the lodge at Davis Mountains State Park. This picture was taken on a trail that was a half mile or so from the lodge bordering a cattle field (April 2010). If you are ever in the area, I highly recommend staying at the lodge as it was very nice and economical. If you are there on a Saturday night, you can go to the nearby McDonald Observatory for the star party – it was amazing how many stars/planets/galaxies you could see from this remote area of the country (and to have someone there to point them all out was helpful!). Also, another treasure to visit in the area (if you like swimming) is the spring fed Balmorhea State Park…huge. I have written so much and didn’t even touch upon the main attraction, Big Bend – we loved it! Also on this trip we hit the Guadalupe National Mountains, Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands National Monument, and the Gila Cliff Dwellings…all in one week. It was a lot of driving, but so worth it.


7 comments:
That looks beautiful.
Your commentary on Illinois below defines why I moved away from the big East Coast cities, and don't intend to move back. We certainly have our share of problems out here, but obscenely high taxes to pay for large amounts of nothing isn't one of them, and insanely expensive housing isn't one either.
That looks a lovely place to get away from it all!
As a twenty year resident of Dallas I am embarrassed to admit that I've yet to make it to Big Bend. As a teacher, finding time that is not the dead of summer or family holiday time is tough. I appreciate your sharing your visit here. A good reminder that I need to get it together and find my way to "BB Country".
Nice shot! :) Thad's brother just went to Big Bend. It was their second trip there because they loved it so much.
Nice post Big Bend looks like an awesome spot.
I haven't but I would like to, there are many interesting sights in the area. Nice capture.
My brother-in-law and family currently live in Dallas. We were thinking we could combine a trip to see them with Big Bend. WE Love national parks! I just booked a week outside of Acadia for this June!
Post a Comment