This photograph is from Nevada Falls at Yosemite National Park. This was a great day-hike being a loop from the Mist Trail and back on the John Muir trail. The NPS classifies it as “strenuous”, but I don’t remember it being all that bad. We have it on our list to go back and continue on to do the cables at Half Dome (now that might be closer to strenuous!). While highly visited, Yosemite is one of the most beautiful places we have been.
We had an interesting mentor/mentee night this week; we met at the food store and each match had to calculate the cost per serving for a nutritious meal (main dish + 1c fruit + 1c vegetable). The pair with the lowest meal got to take home the groceries to make the meal. The point of the exercise was to show the kids that with planning, it is more cost effective and healthy to eat at home than to go out. We came in third place with a barbeque sandwich meal (I did have to talk “J” out of the strawberries or we would have been in last). The first place team had based their meal upon tuna casserole.
The assistant store manager shared his work experience with the kids. He had started as a bagger in high school, worked his way up, earned scholarships through the company and got a college degree, has worked in over 30 stores, and is now an assistant manager at Wheaton – not bad! As a group, we are trying to expose the kids to as many professions as possible; as many of them are coming from situations at home that are “less-than-average”, college may or may not be in the cards. It is my hope with “J” that she will start to put the connection between good grades and college and not living off of the government… unfortunately we have a very long way to go. The interim report card was not looking so good. Any ideas?


6 comments:
Cool Yosemite shot! I have yet to get to Yosemite. I 'm afraid I might never leave once I arrived in the land of John Muir! Thanks for your comments on my Yellowstone images...I hope to see your night images... It's really enjoyable to see what others have shot...Thanks for sharing!
Nice shot! We have to go to Yosemite. I think that may be our fall trip.
I'm obviously no expert on kids. With J, I think keep trying. Do you guys study at mentor/mentee night? Maybe make sure you study before having fun. Maybe you could show her one of your old report cards? Would any of the older mentee kids be able to show her the importance of good grades? I guess the last thing would be a reward at the end of the semester if she gets good grades....maybe a night out to dinner or a day in the canoe?
Yosemite is very high on my list of places to visit, although it may just be a day trip next time I'm in that part of the country. Great shot!
that photo is gorgeous. i always think of yellowstone as a park out west i need to visit, but yosemite is going to need to be added!
nice shot of the falls! i remember that hike, it's a fun one!
All the national park photos make me want t rent an RV and head west! I love the photos!
Post a Comment