Thursday, June 2, 2011

Life Moves On...

There has been so much going on lately; a brief update:


Dogs: Andra and Rowan are good. Andra continues to amaze us with her obedience level, but continues to struggle with some behavioral issues; we keep working with her and are not giving up. Rowan is his usual aloof self; I took him to the concert in the park on Wednesday, and he just loved all the attention he got from the little girls.


Gates Place: We are getting a new street, sidewalk, and curbs. Unfortunately, three of our trees had to come down (one of which we are still upset about).


Jobs: Three interviews over the last two weeks. One definite “no”, one most likely “yes”, and the other is undetermined. Unfortunately the “yes” is a similar situation to where I am at now, so unless the money is good and there is a retirement plan (both of which I don’t have now), most likely I will stick with my more flexible situation where I know I am safe for some time to come (I should be finding out more next week). I continue to see lives turned upside down; the construction industry in this country is hurt for much time to come. I am fortunate to have a job, but truly I understand the definition of “underemployed”.


Mentoring: I have been struggling a lot lately with some issues happening in my mentee’s family. The whole thing is completely heartbreaking and I am helpless. The best I can do for the situation is continue to take her out of it for a few hours every week. I struggle with not being able to help her more. The past two weeks have been even more difficult; the mom seems to be distancing from the group. At this point, I don’t know if our relationship is going to continue or not; the little bit of information our leader was able to get was that she was living out of town for a while. Since the emotional roller coaster of adoption, there hasn’t been something that has consumed my mind so much; I have her picture on my desk and just hope that I will hear from her again (I have not heard from her now in 2-1/2 weeks). It is a friendship that I want to continue for a long time to come; I want to see this girl succeed…but if her mom doesn’t want to, then I have to find a way to let it go.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep at the training with your pups. GSDs are so smart, but repitition works wonders. They can be stubborn!

Sorry about your mentoring problem. That has got to be heartbreaking.

Al said...

It sounds like some struggles, but keep moving along! The mentoring can be difficult, and very frustrating.

Rosemarie said...

Hopefully your mentee will realize was a positive influence you are in her life. Good luck!

eileeninmd said...

I love your cute dogs, training can be difficult at times. But, it the end well worth it. I wish you success with your mentoring, I am sure you are a good influence on the girl. Have a great weekend and thanks for visiting my blog.

Janet said...

You have been an amazing influence in her life and this will continue to shape her future. Prayers for her and you!