This weekend, I managed to squeak out a better 5K time than my first run of the season; it wasn’t as hot which helped. I got it down to a 9:06 minute mile; Rob was better with a 7:41 minute mile (23:50). Rob is running and in-line skating some half marathons sometime in the next two months.
My mentee is alive and in town! The situation is FAR from over and makes my head hurt thinking about it, but I am more hopeful than I was a week ago. I still do not know if we will continue to have a relationship or not. It was fairly clear to me that she wants it…but truly it is up to her mother to decide. It is out of my control.
Architecture has seen better days. I often think of my situation as miserable, but there are others in more desperate situations.
- I met up with a group of college friends two weeks ago; one was living without health insurance, one was two months behind in receiving paychecks (and the boss is asking him to work overtime), and a third went without pay for much of last year and is not only making in the $20K range.
- Another is a bit older with two kids. The cobra subsidy is ending soon which is going to spell disaster for his family. Through the government, he is able to get his kids coverage; but adults are not yet so fortunate. He has been able to pick up some side work which brings in a little income, but he has not been so lucky in trying to obtain a personal policy. He has had cancer and the insurance companies are not interested. He is trying to find a job anywhere that might have insurance; we know some people that work at Trader Joes and are hoping perhaps they might be of some help.
- Another is a 60 year old who is talented. She has gotten an offer or two since her layoff, but they didn’t offer health insurance. She also has tried contacting the insurance companies privately with the cobra subsidy ending, but alas, she has health problems and they are not interested.
HELP! Maybe someone knows of some information that I can pass along to these people that might be of some additional assistance. We are setting up a meet time on Fridays to review resumes, share job search ideas, etc. I would love to bring some new ideas to the table the next time I meet with them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I am glad you found your mentee. Hopefully you can make some trips to the pool with her this summer!!!
My only advice to your friends would be to head to the government for government jobs. :( Thinking of them.
Katie,
We got your gift yesterday. Thank you so much, the blanket is beautiful. Sydney loved it and took possession of it right away, but we switched it out with her blanket you made, so it was all good. Thanks again!
BethAnn
Post a Comment