Sunday, December 11, 2011
Saguaro National Park, Tucson, Arizona
A few months ago, we found very reasonable airfare and decided to book a long weekend to Tucson, Arizona to hike in Saguaro National Park. At the park, we did the short Freeman Homestead Trail, the Kings Canyon-Wasson Peak-Hugh Norris-Sendero Esperanza Trail Loop, and a short walk through the Mica View area. We also visited the Sabino Canyon Recreation Area and did a fabulous loop hike; finally, we visited he Pima Air/Space museum on Saturday afternoon when rain fell upon the area. Overall, it was some very nice winter hiking...although a bit cold for desert standards. The news was speaking about freeze warnings in the desert and the possibility of pipes breaking in the overnight lows.
Unfortunately a few weeks ago, I was diagnosed with another malignant melanoma on my arm. It was caught early and with a wide-excision, it has been completely removed with pathology coming back negative. In the new year, I will start to see my doctor every four months and we are going to start to look at some alternative/preventative routes to take. It has been a difficult couple weeks with sticthes in the arm and limited movement; it has been healing perfectly though and while I am not weight training, I am almost back to normal activities. Unfortunately along with all of this comes the battle/struggle with health insurance - I know that there is a completely different battle ahead in that area; having what I consider a chronic condition is not easy in the United States.
The employment situation is in complete chaos at the moment; I can't really say much more than that right now. I should be able to say more in January. For now, I am working day and night and don't have much time for too much more.
The resale shop I volunteer for is bringing in record sales; last month was the largest profits ever - and just this weekend they pulled in a one-day sales high. I I continue to enjoy my Thursday nights there. The mentor group asked if I would be willing to accept a new mentee, but at this time with employment being in choas, I decided to just stick with the resale shop.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I totally understand your situation. I have lived through some of it myself. You will have my prayers. It is a blessing that the melanoma has been removed. I pray you will go from strength to strength and that you will find refreshing and juvenation during the holiday season. Take time to rest. Hugs. xx p.s your photos are beautiful.
Post a Comment