Saturday, January 14, 2012

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes...

My employment situation has been poor over the past few years. As an architect, I was lucky to have a job, but the pay was below average, the retirement plan didn't exist, and the environment poor.

Last Tuesday, I finally put my notice in...it felt really good. I gave them a three week notice till the end of January to finish the $7 million dollar project I am working on. I gave them the extended notice because of the project; as a professional, I feel obligated to finish it to the best of my abilities.

It amazes me what people hear versus what you say. I kept my resignation very professional; I didn't make any accusations, or point any fingers. I told them not to spend any time on countering for this was a done deal - I was done - finished; I was overworked for my pay, I was frustrated with the office, I was frustrated with architecture in general.

So, they came back with two offers:
1) They begged me to stay until the end of February..."as a personal favor".
2) That they could create a new position for me that was more drafting oriented, and not so demanding...anything to make me stay.

I told them that the second option wasn't going to work. I don't know why, but I told them while I wasn't interested in working more, but would agree to work 10 hours a week for them in February. For the first time in a long time, my boss came to me, shook my hand, and said, "THANK YOU". It truly is amazing how things change when you are in the drivers seat - it is as if he was a different person. But in those 10 hours a week, should any voice be raised to me...adios amigos.

4 comments:

Joyful said...

Good for you! If you are in a toxic work environment, no amount of money or begging from the powers that be is going to make it any better. Sadly there is a lot of toxicity around. I always value those that try to keep things positive in the work place in circumstances that are bad. Best of luck to you as you find something new that will "fit" you better.

Savannah said...

Good for you. Its so tuff to stick with a job when you are miserable. At my last job (5 years ago), I asked for insurance (after working there for 4 years). They told me to find my own, so I did...somewhere else. I have been so much happier. I still on a regular basis tell myself how happy I am since I left that job.

Rosemarie said...

It is amazing how management changes when you are serious. They feel they can treat you like crap when you NEED the job but the minute you're willing to leave, they want to give you more. I've had that happen several times. I always tell myself to go into every interview as if I'm just doing this for somehting to do, I don't need the work. Anyway, I'm glad that this is a decision you made and I wish you the best.

Al said...

Best luck with your job changes. I wish I could make a change like that but I'm trapped because of family/mortgage/the American dream.