Once a year through Rob’s work, we get a free health assessment that includes bloodwork, blood pressure, weight, and height; it also extends to spouses. This year, I received a 100% - perfection. However – perfection is very far from the truth.
Should I have continued my business and applied for individual health insurance; I would not have been denied, but the premiums would have most likely been sky high due to my history of skin cancer. I know others in this situation – with different medical problems than mine – but nonetheless, a more serious medical issue that the insurance companies don’t want to touch. It saddens me to know people in such situations because I understand their frustrations, but know that there is not an easy answer. Currently, it seems my best option remains group health insurance – which as some know isn’t as easy to get as it use to be.
Anyhow, this week, moving into the supreme court is the constitutionality of the mandate that would force all Americans to buy health insurance. Many will be watching; I will be watching.
I suppose that medical insurance and politics have been mixing too much for me recently. I don’t know enough about Obamacare to make right or wrong judgments about it; I do know that there was talk of removing the word “pre-existing condition” from existence…which I am in favor of. I do applaud Mr. Obama for looking to change the system. I get mad at the republican candidates who talk of eliminating Obamacare; I don’t get mad because I think they are wrong, I am mad because they are not proposing anything different. Going back to square one isn’t the right solution in my eyes.
I get very curious about the systems in Canada and Europe with universal healthcare; I know that they are not perfect, but are there lessons we can be learning from them? Do people in those countries worry that their health could potentially bankrupt them?
Will the Supreme Court look at this and rule along party lines? If so, doesn’t this negate the purpose of the Supreme Court?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Last month I bought into health insurance for the first time in, many, decades. My "pre-existing condition" was not previously having health insurance. I go for my free annual physical next week.
Glad to hear you had a good check up.
I don't think anyone understands Obamacare or how it is going to work. I should look for something that explains it well.
What is the best way to handle all of this? I think in some ways everyone needs to look outside the box. You can't look at other countries systems necessarily because healthcare now is different. Lots of procedures/drugs cost huge amounts of money. HUGE. We are looking at procedures that weren't done 10 years ago and cost huge amounts of money. What do we do? How should this work? Who should pay for it?
Life is most certainly complicated but we need to think of something new for how to control costs along with giving everyone equal care.
P.S. Congrats on your 100%. You are keeping the parts of your health that you can control at 100%. There is nothing better that you can do for yourself!
Don't get me started on the American health care system. We spend far more money on health care than other Western countries, and get demonstrably worse results. In almost any measurable area you can see the results. Just to pick a few of the countries that spend far less than us but that get slammed here in the press, Portugal, Spain, Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, and France, all have better life expectancy, lower infant mortality rates, and lower rates of death in childbirth than us. And their people don't have to worry about bankruptcy because of medical bills.
The American health care system is the best in the world if you're part of the 1%.
Hey, sure glad you stopped by my new blog. I'm sure I have your email address somewhere, but..... in a hurry to answer before I forget. Comes with age.
You can follow my new site several ways. On the sidebar you can follow on the websites facebook page. Under comments you can check to receive email when a post comes out.
I wish Friend Connect had been discontinued as I liked that feature on blogger.
BTW, if you want bloggers to respond to your comment via an email you should turn off the "noreply-comment" thing.
Canadian health care is not perfect, but most of us would not trade. Yes, there are waiting lists for some procedures. Some (mostly experimental) drugs are not covered by public or private insurance plans, & there is some travel involved for people in rural/remote areas who need procedures done in the larger urban hospitals (as I am sure is the case in some areas of the States). But the vast majority of us never have to think twice about the cost of health care & whether we can afford to go to the dr, or that we can't change jobs because we'd lose our health coverage. "Pre-existing condition" is not in our vocabulary here.
I have heard some Americans say that they don't want the government dictating the kind of health care they can receive... but under the current system, aren't the insurance companies & employers doing exactly that?
Post a Comment