I am very late, but on this last day in May...MAY IS MELANOMA MONTH. This disease has become a part of my life, and sun management is critical. When getting a physical, ask your physician to review your skin; if you can make it to a dermatologist...even better. Perhaps Hollywood may think so - but a tan is NOT BEAUTIFUL (nor is malnutrion).
With all the news and tragic pictures surrounding "tanning mom" as well as the many legislative tanning bed initiatives around the country, it is important to again address the subject of recreational tanning.
Fortunately, due to all the press related to this truly sad story, society is beginning to realize tanning is not associated with "affluence" and beauty ... but quite the opposite. Simply put, tanning can be as addictive as alcohol and tobacco.
More than 2 million cases of skin cancer are diagnosed in the United States each year and the numbers are rising. The American Academy of Dermatology maintains -- THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A HEALTHY TAN (or base tan).
May is Melanoma Month. Help change behaviors by bringing awareness to the real facts and dangers associated with tanning. Please be the one to bring and share the sunscreen or the shade umbrella.
• Use a sunscreen that is labeled "broad spectrum" and contains the ingredients titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, avobenzone, and mexoryl. This ensures that you are protected from both UVA and UVB rays.
• Choose a sunscreen that is marked SPF 15 or higher (I happen to like Neutrogena 85 or 100) keep in mind that the label SPF indicates protection from only UVB rays (and not UVA rays). To best protect, make sure your sunscreen is labeled “broad spectrum.”
• Typical car, home, and office windows block most of the UVB rays but a smaller portion of UVA rays, so even if you don't feel you're getting burned your skin may still get some damage.
• Apply sunscreen 30 minutes before going outdoors – it needs time to work on the skin. Reapply every two hours, especially in the water. Use sun protection even on cloudy days – most of the sun’s rays can penetrate the clouds.
• Wear sun protective clothing. Hats with wide brims all the way around are very effective when protecting the ears, nose and back of the neck. Choose tightly woven and dark fabrics – they provide better protection than pastel-colored and loosely woven clothes. Be sure to dress in loose clothing – the closer the fabric is to the skin the less sun protection it offers.
• Check the UV Index:
http://www.epa.gov/sunwise/uvindex.html
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I'd rather cover my skin with clothing than slather an unknown chemical on it. Yet I respect the importance of not getting too much sun. And artificial tanning beds just can't be healthy. People don't seem to understand moderation.
Good reminder!
A little over three years ago I had surgery remove a cancerous spot on my nose. Too many sunburns finally caught up with me. If I'm out gardening you'll find me in long sleeves, long pants and a hat. Don't want to repeat that surgery experience ever again!
It's good to be careful. Even with all the warnings and information, lots of people don't take care.
Good for you! I'm pale, and proud. My father died as a result of skin cancer that metastasised (not melanoma, so don't let anyone tell you other skin cancers aren't dangerous). Plus, I live in NZ with a hole in the ozone layer. So I'm extra paranoid about being out in the sun. I wish everyone could understand this. Friends of mine who would never smoke, or drink and drive, still get sun-tans. And worse, they'll still comment on my lack of a tan if I've been on a tropical beach holiday.
Post a Comment