Saturday, June 23, 2012
Scenic Sunday
I still can't believe our luck in pulling a "Wave" permit while we were on vacation!
I've been poking around the internet for a potential September vacation. We are waiting to hear back from a nephew on if we are driving him back to school or not, so I don't want to book any plane tickets before then for vacation time is limited. But, Colorado is looking very affordable and attractive.
I have been looking at a loop around the more southern half of the state, and then coming back towards Denver, we would like to tackle our first 14'er. (Colorado has 53 of them). Looking for something that isn't extremely technical that we can do with our hiking shoes and day-packs. Mount Bierstadt is looking like a good "beginner" mountain. Any other possibilities that anyone has would be appreciated...(we will not be renting a 4-wheel drive vehicle).
We have been a bit obsessed with the Discovery series "Everest" on Netflix. We started getting attracted to the mountain a bit back in watching "Blindsight", a 2006 documentary about six blind Tibetan teenagers (fabulous documentary by the way). Doing a little research, for a pretty price, REI has a few nice treks in the Himalayas of which you can see Everest (they also have one that goes to Basecamp). Maybe one day...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Great shot of the wave. Maybe I'll get there someday. I've climbed the only mountain I believe I ever will, Mt St Helens after she blew. Good enough for me. Good luck with the fall vacation. And don't forget about altitude.
That's an awesome photo. I hope you get to take your vacation!
Greetngs from Oman!!!
WOW!!!What a shot!!!Stunning and amazing place...have a great weekend!
Shantana
That's an incredible photo, I've never seen anything like that.
Mt. Sherman was my first 14er, and it's about the easiest in the state. I've also climbed Mt. Bierstadt, and while it's relatively easy it's substantially harder than Sherman. Remember that any 14er is a long, tough hike at very high altitude, and start very early to avoid the afternoon thunderstorms.
Wow, that is a great shot of the wave. You might think about removing the verification on your site.
One of my coworkers did the Everest trip last year as a one last vacation before her retirement. It looked like a great trip. I can't remember if she did REI or some other group. I think it was REI. I think she went to the first base camp.
Great, great photo! :)
I can't believe you got in. Did you just drive up and win the lottery. I have been wanting to go there for years!!
Post a Comment