Last weekend, we drove a nephew back to school in West Virginia. On the way home, we made the following stops:
- Coopers Rock National Forest (West Virginia)
- Friendship Hill National Historic Site (Pennsylvania)
- Fort Necessity National Battlefield (Pennsylvania)
- Ohioplyle State Park (Pennsylvania)
- Cuyahoga National Park (Ohio)
- East Harbor State Park (Ohio)
- Pokagon State Park (Indiana)
We tried to go to Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater, but arrived around 4:30, and they had closed at 4:00 - it was gated so we didn't even get to see the residence from the outside.
Cuyahoga National Park was definitely a topic of discussion. By all means, this land should be protected status from the US government, but, does it meet National Park Status? In 1974, Congress created Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area, it did not become a National Park until the year 2000. Congaree (2003) and Great Sand Dunes (2004) were both created after Cuyahoga – and we are visiting Great Sand Dunes next month. So, it will be interesting to see how our viewpoints might change after that.
This week coming back has not been so good. A godchild and neighbor both got some sad medical diagnosis. Mr. Rowan dog split open his paw and is looking sad in his cone-of-shame. And I came down with illness at the end of the week; I am definitely wondering if I have mild symptoms of the West Nile virus given my mosquito exposure has been active in the past week(s). 80% of people who have West Nile have no symptoms, when symptoms do appear, they begin 3-14 days after the mosquito bite; symptoms usually last 3-6 days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
You are definitely checking parks off the list.
Hope you feel better soon.
I'm curious as to your discussion of the Cuyahoga Valley national Park. We're so glad to have that land protected from development and left for public use. But national park? Don't know what the criteria is. I'll be driving thru it daily when I start my new job next week. Sorry I missed you on your trip thru the area.
Sounds like a wonderful road trip! Wow, hope you don't have West Nile.... take care.
We've never been to Cuyahoga but have it on our list of things to do because we were going to try to do the train/bike part of the park. I guess maybe comparing national parks to places in the midwest versus the west coast, you will be rather disappointed with the midwest. Not many amazing places at all but beautiful and so nice to have the land protected.
Beautiful photos! You certainly covered a lot of ground in your many stops at state parks. I hope you feel better soon.
Post a Comment