Saturday, December 1, 2012

We are In!


There are only 250 spots available, and over 375 applicants...but once again, our luck came through.  We got a spot in the Illinois River to River relay!

The Mississippi and Ohio rivers meet at the southern tip of Illinois.  Between the two rivers lies a land quite unlike the rest of the state - including the Shawnee National Forest.  In April, thousands of runners will cross this land between the rivers in the River-to-River Relay.  Teams of eight runners compete on an 80-mile course.  Each runner completes three sections that range in length from 2.5 to 4 miles (and have some topography too!).  The finish line closes at 8:00 pm.

The unfortunate news is that we got a late start time at 8:15 am...ugh.  I suppose it could have been worse - the last group starts at 8:45 am.  The first teams start at 6:15 am (start times are at 15 minute increments).  So, we are going to have to start training hard to get legs moving FAST; the good news is we have until April to train.

It should be a really fun event; we are looking forward to it!  Our Uncle Tim who more recently passed away from cancer lived in Southern Illinois - so we are running this race in his honor..."Mitacek Madness!".

5 comments:

Gaelyn said...

Congrats! You two are amazing. I lived a short while at the edge of the Shawnee, gorgeous country. Get to running. ;)

Linda W. said...

Great news! Relays are so fun. Good luck with your training. I'm sure your team will do great.

Colleen said...

Great news KT! :) Aunt Linda will be so happy to see everybody!

Al said...

Good luck - that's more running than I'd want to do!

Joyful said...

Oh wow! Congratulations. I hope your training is all you want it to be. I admire you for trying this race.