We had the chance to see the Book of Mormon last weekend; it was a Christmas/Birthday gift. We don’t often travel into Chicago to see theater, but do enjoy the local shows at schools and theater shops (well, especially because a cousin is always brilliant in them!). So…did it live up to the hype?
If nothing else, this show got us talking. I did like the opening doorbell scene – it was cute and funny. But, from there on out, it did become much of a South-Park musical. I can’t say either of us were big fans of South Park, but on occasion did see an episode or two; the humor was on the vulgar side – not so much witty. The cast, stage crew, and orchestra were brilliant – no complaints there.
A few weekends ago, we rented “Some Like it Hot”. We saw “My Week With Marilyn” the week before, which then inspired us to get one of Marilyn Monroe’s big hits. It was a popular movie in its time, and still remains fairly well reviewed today.
So…I have been scratching my head…in 54 years, how did society go from “Some Like it Hot” to “The Book of Mormon”? Is this really the direction we want to be heading? You tell your children to stop bullying, yet, isn’t “The Book of Mormon” a production of bullying itself? After seeing it and reflecting, was it not mocking sacred beliefs, ethnic background, and sexuality?
Hmmm… Has society taken a wrong turn somewhere along the line?
On another note, the new job continues to get more strange everyday. How is it that I move from one strange job to the next? In the month of January, we were told to schedule our vacations for the year. Huh? We often plan our vacations based upon the price of airline tickets – so how does one do that in January? After three months, my check still does not direct deposit into my checking account, yet you ask for me to plan my vacation days for the year? Yeah…good luck with that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
It is so sad that the kind of show you saw is even being made. I'd heard of it but didn't know what it was about. I find I often gravitate to the old classics on television too....most of them much older than Marilyn Munroe's films.
After our year of Chicago theatre, we decided to just stick with the suburbs. Seriously, the vulgarity in some of the shows we saw was awful. I'll stick with a local high school performance or a local small theatre anyway. I do have to say though if you ever see Avenue Q anywhere, that is worth seeing. It is by the same people as The Book Of Mormon, but it was really heart touchingly good.
Post a Comment