Monday, August 19, 2013

Washington, Part 1 - Mt. Baker

A few months ago, Rob had met Olga with a running group.  She had mentioned to him that she was going to be traveling to Russia with her daughter in August while her husband Nicolay spent two weeks in Washington thinking of climbing Mount Baker.  As we had traveled to this part of the country a couple years back, Rob was interested in going back to Baker.  He had some vacation time tucked away and decided to go with Nicolay.  They booked a trip with Mountain Madness out of Seattle; their group ended up being five people and a guide -  a good sized group.

 
They started off in Seattle packing bags; everyone carried a 50 lb.+ pack.

 
We had been on the initial trail when we had visited; Park Butte/Railroad Grade.  Railroad grade was hard for me because of the loose gravel/steep drop offs.  Rob thought that had on been on this trip, this still would have been one of the most challenging parts for me.

 
They camped above the tree line for two nights (same campsite). 

 
It had a very nice view.

 
They set off before sunrise for the summit; the six of them roped together for safety purposes.  Crampons were necessary as much of the hike was on ice/snow.

 
They made it to the top without too much issue; it was a beautiful day. 

 
One of the alderman from Warrenville gave Rob some hassle about wearing a Wheaton shirt on the summit.

 
There was a register at the top.
 
 
And they got a nice group photo.  I think Rob enjoyed his first more technical summit.  I am still wondering how well I would do; I don't think the sun with snow reflection would be good for my skin and eyes.  I suppose I should just stick to less technical climbs on rock with less sun reflection.
 

2 comments:

Linda W. said...

Congrats to your husband for summitting Baker! I'd love to get up there and ski Mt. Baker this winter.

Colleen said...

Great job Rob! Warrenville will need to move their 4th of July run to the cold weather months to get the long sleeve T Shirt! :)