The radiation plaque surgeries have come and gone. Neither surgery was all that bad; in both
cases the surgical team was fantastic. I
had sedation rather than general anesthesia which I am happy about; others on
the ocular melanoma website that had general anesthesia didn’t sound all that
happy about it. Also, my time with the
radiation plaque was outpatient - while
isolated, there were small tasks at home I was able to do.
The second surgery beat up an already traumatized eye. So, it is going to take some time to
heal. It doesn’t look all that horrible,
but it doesn’t look good either.
I have a follow up appointment in about two weeks. Then, they will monitor the tumor via
ultrasound every few months. The side
effects are different for each patient, but it is expected that a cataract will
appear fairly soon. It seems that the
eye continues to experience deterioration from the radiation for about two
years…and then stabilizes. So, time will
tell.
I hope to make it back to work for a half day tomorrow, then
have a day off for New Year’s holiday, then possibly a full or half day on
Friday – then try to have a normal week starting the 5th. In the end, while I do like this job, I don’t
know that such a high reading/writing concentration job will be a good long
term fit given all that has happened in the last months of 2014. Also, my boss put in his notice and his last
day is Friday. He was one reason this
job was really good – he was being so very compassionate about the whole
medical situation too.
Finally – I will
mention that I really like the ocular melanoma doctor. We have a lot in common for our love of the
National Parks. He is a hiker and
climber. He was telling us some bear
stories from his time in Alaska; he has made it to both Gates of the Arctic
(saw polar bears) and Kobuk…two really hard parks to get to. His visit to Lake Clark also sounded really
amazing. The third week in January he
was going to return to the southern Utah area for some canyoneering. The
only unfortunate thing about this amazing doctor is that he is around 60 years
of age…what shall I do when he retires?
One article on him states that he has been consistently recognized as
one of the “Best Doctors in America” and the Consumer’s Research Council of
America selected him as one of “America’s Top Ophthalmologists”. I already wrote a note to my local retina
specialist thanking him for the wonderful referral…not a bad outcome for the
HMO.

2 comments:
Wonderful news about your great doctor. Don't think and worry too far into the future. I'm sorry about your boss departing. It was good to have him there when you got through the biggest challenge I think. Best of luck on your recovery and on finding more suitable work. Happy New Year too!
Glad to hear your surgery is done. Fingers crossed for success!
Post a Comment