A couple weeks ago, there was bad weather in the south suburbs of Chicago. I happened to be in Joliet that night, but it went about 15 miles south. Coal City was hit the hardest. While in Grundee County, it is not in my building departments jurisdiction (Will County). However, they are our close neighbor, so my coworker and I got sent to assess houses.
I never need to see tornado damage again. It was horrible. House after house. Street after street. Some with complete devastation, other with minor cosmetic issues. I didn't take any pictures on the first day, but when I got to this house - the owner was having trouble with their insurance company - so I decided to document (the wall was missing on the other side of the house too).
This was the next house down...
The same house from a different angle - it slid off the foundation and then cracked in half. The part that was over the crawl fell in which then split the house as you see above. Notice - there is no roof - who knows where it went.
This is a tri-level. The upper portion completely gone.
Can you notice this one - if you step in the front door, you are looking at sky.
Garage and roof - completely gone.
This was the next house down...
The same house from a different angle - it slid off the foundation and then cracked in half. The part that was over the crawl fell in which then split the house as you see above. Notice - there is no roof - who knows where it went.
This is a tri-level. The upper portion completely gone.
Can you notice this one - if you step in the front door, you are looking at sky.
Garage and roof - completely gone.
I am sad to say - these were not the worst of what we saw. But, nobody was killed - pretty amazing. I don't think the amount of damage will be released for some time to come; a large part of the issue was that so many people had holes in their roofs, and then it rained 5 inches. The water damage alone is going to be astronomical.

3 comments:
Such devastation. It's a miracle no one was killed.
Wow, I can't even imagine that much damage.
Wow! I didn't realize you had gone down to Coal City but the damage is so bad. It is amazing nobody was killed and I am guessing that is because we had so many warnings of the bad weather. Thank goodness!!!
Post a Comment