We caught an earlier flight out of Chicago-Midway to Oakland, California - arriving around lunch. We watched American Snipper as a download on the Kindle on the plane - a really good movie. We picked up the rental car and drove about 45 minutes to the town of Martinez where we would have lunch at Wendy's and then go to the John Muir National Historic Site.
He actually grew up in Wisconsin, but inherited this property later in his life. Some attribute this to be one of the most important places to the start of the National Park Service. The house was open for viewing; you could walk through all parts of it. You even could go up into the bell tower and ring the bell. We saw a deer in the orchards on the grounds.
Knowing we needed to get in some miles, we didn't stay too long and kept heading north staying in Redding, California. One of the reasons I choose to stop in Redding was that I wanted to see the Sundial Bridge.
I thought it was impressive. It is for pedestrian and bikes only.
It was at this point, I realized that something had gotten into the lens of my camera. We realized we couldn't fix it and stopped at Target to get a new point-and-shoot Nikon. Not my favorite, but we bought the lowest-cost model and it got us through the trip. While I will keep the camera, I will also most likely look for something else that is slightly better.
The arboretum was open and we did a loop through - and back on the bike path which was heavily used. Redding was about 100 degrees in the day, so a lot of people were out early evening. We saw deer in the arboretum and the ranger on a bike said they come through just about every night.
Redding had a lot of spiders and spiderwebs. Lots. So much, that I took a picture of one.
Rob having some fun on the bridge. The sun dial was not able to be used for it was overcast. It was a combination of clouds and forest fire smoke. The sun glowed a strange orange.
After stopping at the Target for the camera, we went back to the bridge to see it at dark. Still a lot of people out and about - very nice to see it with the lights on.
We stayed at a very economical family-owed hotel that was clean, quiet, and had a nice breakfast.


2 comments:
It's been years and years since I've been in the area you feature in your post. I'm not sure if you're on your trip or back home now but I hope you had a very nice time. The bridge is quite impressive. I like it lit up.
I'm a sucker for beautifully done bridges. This one is very nice! Can't wait to see where all you went on this trip.
Post a Comment