Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Networking Question

I have a question for any adoption families out there that might be following... Our counselor had forwarded us a list of 'networking' websites:

ParentProfiles.com
AdoptionOpen.com
AdoptingABaby.org
MamaBears.org
Adopting.com
AdoptionOnline.com

All of these sites essentially put a profile up for you...for a fee. We are wondering if it is worth pursing one of them. Our thought is, why would a birthfamily go to one of these sites...we had never heard of them, why would they? We feel a bit like it would be throwing money away.

Recently, I have been getting a number of frustrating comments. I should just ignore them, but when they keep coming, you start to believe them...people have been making me think that we are doing something 'wrong' for we don't have a child in our house. If we are doing something wrong, why don't I know what it is?

3 comments:

BP said...

I'm weird about the public posting places, but that is just me. I'm a teacher and feel really strange because I feel like students' parents are looking or something. Not that I am trying to hide anything, but it makes me feel so vulnerable, not knowing who is looking. I'm really private, but a part of me definitely thinks that anything is worth a try. The fee thing kind of gets me, too.
Basically, I'm no help. I'm interested to see what you find out.

I'm sorry about the comments. Nothing seems easy right now, does it?

momwithfaithandhope said...

Thank you for your birthday wishes for Gracyn! I'm sorry that you've had to receive some not-so-encouraging words from others. I have no experience with the sites you listed, but in today's age, I could very well see a young mother searching the internet for options. Perhaps do an excercise. Pretend you're a young birth mother, who's considering adoption. What would you "google" and what comes up first. Just a thought! Hang in there. You're not doing anything wrong. Everyone's journey to welcoming a child is unique. It's all a learning process, and sometimes full of challenges, but in the end, your dreams can come true!

Nicole said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes over my way! And as for the online sites, I'm not a big fan. I do agree with the above comment though about every birth family is going to search somehow, so maybe it is worth exploring?

Good luck!

ICLW